14.2.14

Why are you so excited? It's still winter!

Good morning peoples?!

It is once again that time where I stop and reflect as we approach (what we hope will be) the end of the winter season.  But as we do, I have heard some rather disturbing comments made - in particular about the weather.  Please do not get me wrong.  I am a winter baby.  I love snow and outdoor activities that deals with snow - to a point... I like to go sledding, I like to go skiing.  I enjoy building snowmen and making snow angels.  I even enjoy shoveling to a certain extent.  But for real - Enough is Enough!

This winter has been extremely harsh.  It seems that everywhere we look record low temperatures and blistering snow falls are becoming the norm.  Even in Atlanta, where some of my family stays & I went to undergraduate school - "Dear Ol' Morehouse", have been dumped on with snow.  And it's staying around longer than a few hours.  People were stuck on the highways for HOURS (I do blame this on the lack of driving skills of the majority of people in GA) and the kiddies... Oh the poor kiddies! Some even had to spend the night at their school because it was so bad outside.

But now that this "Polar Vortex" has seemed to pass, and winter is "winding down", we are starting to see "warmer temperatures".  {Please note - I’m am excessively using quotations on purpose, because these are things the public has heard a number of times in the last few weeks already.}  People are starting to lose their God given minds...  

A few obvious examples that I have seen thus far: More and more individuals are starting to go outside with little to no covering.  I’m not talking about the girls that wear open toe shoes and short short mini skirts and no coat while they run to get inside a club.  I do understand why they do it - still doesn’t excuse the fact or helps prevent them from getting “pneumonia in their behinds” as my wife would say, but I have become accustomed to seeing this. But not those going outside with no coats, hats, or gloves. I’ve seen others out running, braving the elements, but at least they have winter running gear.  My sister is a runner.  She’s dedicated to the cardiovascular workout - Rain, sleet, snow, ice.  Damned if it would ever be me (again) but more power to her. I have an issue with those people wearing flip flops like they're at the beach. Or shorts as a part of their attire. Not going to play a sport or workout, but purposely chose the outfit to go to class, or run errands when they KNOW they'll be outside for longer than a minute...

I’ve witnessed (no lie) a guy driving his freshly washed, new model corvette, top down, sun glasses on, gray hair just-a-flowin’ in the wind just the other day.  Um, sir - it’s still 14 degrees out.  Just because the sun decided to come out from behind the clouds for longer than 10 minutes, does not give you the excuse to try to act like, you are the dopest thing this side of Ann Arbor...

I mean, really people.  I’m glad that spring & warmer temperatures will be here sooner than later too, but honestly - it’s still cold.  Shoot it’s still below freezing temperatures!  My co-workers are all excited because we’re going to reach a balmy 35 degrees this weekend.  Why are we all extra excited about Cold temperatures?  It’s still cold!  It’s going to be cold for a while.  Sure you may not have to wear your long-johns in a couple of weeks, but you still need a coat, hat and gloves.  The thing that really gets me, that really makes me question the judgement of most of the people I’m talking about - they will be the FIRST to say something in August, when it’s 92 and humid.  Stating how they wish it would cool down and they can’t wait until winter gets here.  Oh how short our memory is...  

So as I come to an end of my little rant for the moment - my only word of advice is to enjoy today!  Tomorrow is not promised, and it’s still forecasted to be cold if you are here...

No comments:

Post a Comment