18.6.13

Gummy Yummy

Father’s Day Reflections placed me in a space that I’m so often in these days. I almost forgot to let y’all know the actual highlight of this Father’s Day 2013. The highlight of my day was the look on my husband, my son’s father’s face when I presented his gift to him. That look was the look that said “My wife is the absolute greatest!!” I got that look all day because I gave him the gift of his favorite sweet … HOMEMADE y’all. Yup, ya girl made some homemade gummies (they would have been bears had I found the bear candy molds). Not only did I do that, but I made him lil individual bags representative of him. My bags were as following: 
  • Our #1 Super Star (Jason)
  • Tribute to Moore
  • Our Love Bag (full of hearts and our anniversary #, and 2 for well - you know)
  • Dad taking pics as the lil person ate breakfast.
    Awesome card, dad!
  • Bouquet of Flowers

Anyway, here’s the recipe for y’all that keep telling me to finally write these things down. I got it from a conglomeration of sites, but here’s the one I used:

  • ⅓ cup of COLD water (up to ½ cup)
  • 2 bags of unflavored gelatin (bags are ¼ oz each)
  • 3 oz of flavored gelatin


I did not take pics as I made it because my phone was probably charging somewhere. {You can get pics from my links below.} I didn’t take pics at the end either because it was a rush to get them in the fridge from lil 2 year old eyes who can’t keep a secret. But daddy got a few pics when he was presented with them so enjoy those.


Here’s what I did with that recipe. I made 2 batches; the recipe covers only 1. I tried 2 different methods just because.

Method 1:
Put ⅓ cup of cold water in a measuring glass. Sprinkle … SPRINKLE the unflavored gelatin on top of the water. {It immediately begins to thicken and look like you’ve made a mistake.} Then SPRINKLE the flavored gelatin. {Looks even worse, but keep going.} I stirred just enough to pull some water from the bottom of the glass and I may have added a few drops of water cause I was paranoid that it was too dry. Let it sit for 10 minutes while the gelatin “blooms”, takes shape, thickens the mixture more. Meanwhile boil some water (enough to reach up the sides of your measuring cup) in a pot big enough to hold your measuring cup. Once your 10 minutes is up, place the measuring cup in the boiling water and let it dissolve. {I stirred a bit cause I really thought I had messed it up.} Once ALL of the gelatin has dissolved, take the measuring cup out of the pot.

Method 2:
Put ⅓ cup of cold water in a small pot. Sprinkle … SPRINKLE the unflavored gelatin on top of the water. Then SPRINKLE the flavored gelatin. I stirred just enough to pull some water from the bottom of the pot and I may have added a few drops of water cause I was paranoid that it was too dry. Let it sit for 10 minutes while the gelatin “blooms”, takes shape, thickens the mixture more. Turn the heat under the pot on to medium heat. You don’t want to boil it; you just want to dissolve the gelatin. Once ALL of the gelatin has dissolved, pour mixture into a measuring cup for easy pouring.

… Pour liquid into molds. Let molds sit until firm enough to transport with no spills. Once firm, place molds in the freezer for 10 minutes, then the fridge for 5 minutes. After the sit in the fridge, remove them from the molds and bag ‘em up. Place in the fridge for them to last the longest. It’s only day 3 in here so we’ll see how long they last.

He's our #1 Super Star!
Welp, folks I hope you try it yourself. Or you are welcome to bring over some gelatin and I’ll whip you up some real quick at the house. I’m looking for some citric acid to try and embark upon some sour gummies. I’ll also be adjusting my gelatin to play around with the chewiness.

Now since, I like to give credit where credit is due. Check out the links below for my research. They are in no order.


Bag labels came from here: Dad's Stash & No. 1 Dad

As you see, I’m BIG on researching before I embark upon my homemade stuff. I hope I didn’t miss any link. If I come across one I didn’t put on here, I’ll update.

I’m out now. Later, y’all.

No comments:

Post a Comment