4.4.13

SweatN to the Beat


Whether doing some type of cardio exercise, or lifting weights, music tends to help give people an extra push when working out.  Generally when you go into a gym to work out they have some type of music playing.  Most times it’s a general pop station or playlist that encompasses a variety of different tastes and styles.  Some people even bring their own headphones to the gym so they have more control over their playlist.  Music helps move the soul, even if you can’t dance, just sheer movement is a form of exercise.  (FYI - Dancing is a form of exercise).

With that being said, picking out the proper music is very important to getting a good workout in.  I’m not stating that you should only listen to Rap, Heavy Metal, or Rock & Roll.  If that is what you like, then go for it.  You could even listen to gospel or jazz if it provides that provides the tempo of workout that you desire.  I, personally, would not choose “smooth jazz” or classical music to get me amped for my workout.  I tend to do a lot more weightlifting and running for my exercise so I prefer something with a harder beat: Hip Hop, Rap, Motown Flavor.  I see myself having a hard time trying to do a bench press while listening to Brian McKnight’s One Last Cry.  I can’t even imagine having to run a mile, let alone 3, while hearing Tamia’s You put a move on my heart.  And I like those songs, I really do.  I just have a hard time trying to get my heart rate up to a certain level while listening to slow music.

Here are the top 10 workout songs of 2012 according to a Huffington Post:
10. & It Was U by How To Dress Well
9. That’s What’s Up by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
8. Only If For A Night - MTV Unplugged by Florence + The Machine
7. I Found You by Alabama Shakes
6. Little Talks by Of Monsters And Men
5. Transplant by Lolove
4. Let Me Love You by Ne-Yo
3. Rack City by Tyga
2. Climax by Usher
1. Xoxo by Cherub

Would I listen to this list? Probably not for working out, but once again, the goal is to pick something that will make you move.  And if you were wondering - I use Pandora; Stations like B.I.G., Kanye, DJ Khaled,  T.I., even a little 2 Chainz every now and again (what can I say - “I’m Different” is my joint!)

Let us know what gets you amped to work out/exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment