16.5.14

Even a broken watch is right twice a day...

Good day everyone!

Have you ever heard those expressions that make no sense, but make sense? I've always been around older people that used to voluntarily give out little pearls of wisdom like the title.  They would crack me up, but now that I'm older, I find myself actually "getting" their meaning.  Not just understanding or comprehending what they are saying, but really "getting it".  It doesn't help that I married a woman that, while she is 7 years younger than me, she has an "old soul" and a 3 year old little boy, that acts like a little old man most days. {This interaction between the 3 of us makes for a very interesting day by the way.}

But back to the post at hand.  Statements like, "even the sun shines on a dogs ass every now and again" or "a watched pot never boils" always throw me for a loop.  Yeah, I get them "literally" but their figuratively meanings - have me all types of confused. When I look back at what people are trying to say when using these phrases, I used to ask myself, "why not just say what you mean, without having to go all 'Confucius' on me?" But I realize that the point is not to simply state what you want, but make the other person think about why they should take that statement into account.

Dealing with the boy, I've learned that saying something, once, twice, five times, does not always yield the expected result.  But when he comes up with the answer himself, he is more likely to find a way to make what he is doing. On top of that, I find myself doing what I swore I would never do, saying them myself...

I'm always dishing out little nuggents of wisdom to those around me, i.e. the boy.  Even my wife looks at me sideways when I say things to him.  The other day I told him that he has an "inner ear listening deficiency" issue.  But I am not alone in this "journey" to random literary expressionism.  Lady Wife told my son, during one of his fits as we were leaving the house, that he better stop crying before his tears freeze on his face.  But in her defense it was hella cold this past winter.

I've even come to the point where I realize the necessarity of these statements.  While I would never want to be convicted of saying stuff "out the side of my neck" It's quite fun to get your point across.  Especially that little pause I get from my son when I do say things to him.  He stops and can't quite figure out if he should laugh or he's in trouble.  Most of the time when I say these things, he's not.  But every now and again, I have to admit, I still confuse myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment